When it comes to being a vehicle driver, there are certain things that you should know to help you in times of a vehicle emergency. No one wants to be stuck with a flat tire, but driving over debris unexpectedly or driving with low tire pressure can cause a flat tire to occur unexpectedly on the road. Knowing how to change a tire correctly and having the necessary tools in your vehicle that you will need for changing a tire is essential.
Items you need to keep in your vehicle to change a tire:
- Spare tire
- Car jack
- Lug wrench
- Vehicle's owner's manual
How to properly change a tire:
- If you do notice that you have a flat tire and you are driving, don't slam on the brakes. Try to approach a safe place slowly and immediately turn on your emergency lights. Come to a slow stop where you are safe and out of the way of traffic.
- Be sure to engage your parking brake before beginning.
- Remove the hubcap from your tire, if applicable.
- Use the lug wrench to loosen the lug nuts, but do not remove them fully yet.
- Place the jack under your vehicle on a secure part of your vehicle near the tire to raise it up at least six inches off of the ground.
- Remove the lug nuts.
- Remove the tire.
- Place the spare tire onto the hub and line the rim with the lug bolts.
- Put the lug nuts back on a tighten them by hand.
- Use the jack to lower the vehicle back down.
- Tighten the lug nuts with the lug wrench.
- Replace the hub cab.
- Bring your vehicle into our Tire Repair Shop for a tire repair at your earliest convenience. Try not to drive extensively on your spare tire.
We hope that this well help you the next time you find yourself having to change a flat tire. For all of your tire repair needs in St. Petersburg, bring your vehicle into Victory Auto Service today.