Driving at night is significantly more dangerous than during the day because of how difficult it is to see as well in the dark. Also, in areas that are heavily lit, the glare from those lights can make vision even more impaired. This is why it is important to have the following safety tips in mind when you need to drive your vehicle at night.
- Be aware of your surroundings and other drivers on the road. If you notice another drive swerving or drive erratically, avoid getting near them. Drunk driving is much more likely in the evening, so being defensive while driving can protect your safety.
- Never drive at night if you feel tired. Driving in the dark while sleepy can put you and others on the road at risk. A couple of good ways to keep alert while driving include listening to music, rolling down the windows, or having company in your vehicle to keep conversation with.
- Ensure that your windshield is clean.
- Check your vehicle's exterior lights to make sure that they appear clear and are all working properly.
- Drive slowly and never fast than the speed limit. Speed is the number one cause of accidents and driving safely and according to the law will ensure that you get to your destination without trouble.
- Keep an eye out for animals if you're on emptier roads and look for pedestrians when driving in the city.
- Make sure that your vehicle is prepared with an emergency kit just in case you find yourself in a breakdown situation at night.
- Bring your vehicle into Victory Auto Service in St. Petersburg for an inspection periodically to guarantee that your vehicle will stay reliable during night drives.
The next time you find yourself having to hit the road in the evening, be sure to remember the safety tips above. For all of your vehicle's needs, give us a call here at Victory Auto Service or stop by our St. Petersburg repair shop today.